The Contracting Parties approved the Fourth Ramsar Strategic Plan for 2016-2024 at COP12. The Plan lays out a new vision under the Convention mission, four overall goals and 19 specific targets which are designed to support the efforts of Parties, partners and other stakeholders in preventing, stopping and reversing the global decline of wetlands.
Implementing the Ramsar Strategic Plan and its goals and targets will also contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and targets.
The poster below summarizes the Strategic Plan and shows how it links to the SDGs.
In accordance with Resolution XIV.4, the 4th Strategic Plan has been updated as follows:
- Annex 2 has been updated to map the new Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework targets to align with the Ramsar Strategic Plan goals and targets;
- three thematic Annexes have been added, to assist Parties in addressing emerging issues over the final triennium of the Plan, including:
- Annex 3: Key actions to support practical implementation of the SDGs;
- Annex 4: New approach to communication, capacity building, education, participation and
awareness (CEPA); and
- Annex 5: Gender considerations and the Convention on Wetlands.
The term of the 4th Strategic Plan has been extended from 2024 to the occurrence of COP15 to ensure continuity between successive Strategic Plans.