A training webinar on “Wetlands as Nature-based Solutions (NbS) for Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs)”.
As a key element of NbS, wetlands play a crucial role in climate change mitigation and adaptation. They serve as an effective carbon sink and increase communities’ resilience to the impacts of climate change through reduction of impacts from natural disasters including floods, storm surges and drought. Importantly, human adaptation to the impacts of climate change cannot be achieved without wetlands.
To support and elevate the efforts of Contracting Parties to the Convention on Wetlands and UNFCCC, Parties are encouraged to seek opportunities to integrate NbS into their NDCs and coordinate with their counterparts to elevate wetland conservation as part of their climate commitments.
This webinar enhances the knowledge of wetlands as NbS for climate change mitigation/adaptation and the opportunities for Contracting Parties to include wetlands in their NDCs. With such knowledge, Contracting Parties will be able to integrate wetlands into their national commitments to achieve the targets set in their NDCs.
You will learn:
- Wetlands as NbS for climate change adaptation/mitigation (presented by the Secretariat)
- Strengthening NbS within NDCs (presented by UNDP)
- Overview of the NbS policy briefs (developed by UNDP)
- Opportunities and benefits of NbS within NDCs (presented by UNDP)
- Case studies (presented by UNDP)
You can find more information below:
- 'Pathway for Increasing Nature-based Solutions in the Nationally Determined Contributions' available here.
- Nature for Climate Briefings developed by UNDP are available here.
- UN Biodiversity Lab: Online platfom that allows policymakers and other partners to access global data layers, upload and manipulate their own datasets, and query multiple datasets to provide key information on the Aichi Biodiversity Targets and nature-based Sustainable Development Goals. New version of the platform with added functionality in 2021 - available here.
- The Equator Initiative Solutions Database compiles 500+ community actions across five continents and showcases how local communities and indigenous peoples around the world are making possible the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals through nature-based actions.