40th Meeting of the Ramsar Standing Committee
Malheureusement, il n'y a pas de version française de ce document.
Opening statement: Anada Tiega, Secretary General
Outline of Secretary General's Opening Statement
- Welcome to new SC members
- Thanks for taking the responsibilities to guide the work of the Convention over this triennium
- Thanks to:
- All Contracting Parties,
- Switzerland for hosting the Secretariat and IUCN for administering the Secretariat
- Republic of Korea for hosting COP10 successfully
- Romania for offering to host COP11
- Australia and Chile for co-chairing the ad hoc working Group on Administrative Reform
- Secretariat Staff for their commitment to serve CPs through teamwork.
We have some challenges to address but we can be successful if we unite our strengths:
- Support is needed from All CPs, IOPs and other partners
- STRP needs financial support
- CPs need to use Regional Initiatives to enhance international cooperation and teamwork at regional level
- Payment of financial contribution and Voluntary funding are key areas to enhance
- The Convention needs to reach other stakeholders Cities, parliamentarians, Universities and magistrates, journalists, user groups such as tourism industry but also groups affecting wetlands such as those working on extractive industries.
We count on partnerships at all levels to address challenges.