26th Meeting of the Ramsar Standing Committee -- Agenda papers
Lamentablemente, no hay versión en español de este documento
|26th Meeting of the Ramsar Standing Committee |
Gland, Switzerland, 3 - 7 December 2001
|[tabled at the SC26 meeting]|| |
WWF proposal for reorganisation of Ramsar COP8s Technical Sessions
1. WWF congratulates the Bureau and STRP on preparing a challenging technical session program based in large part on the impressive technical work undertaken by the STRP since COP7.
2. We are concerned, however, that the draft agenda for the technical session may give an inaccurate impression to the external world that the Convention is largely focused internally on Ramsar wetland site selection and management. It is our view that a modest reorganisation of the agenda can better emphasise Ramsars leading role in providing solutions to topical global problems, as well as progressing its essential work on wetland sites.
3. The proposal below would position the Convention to better influence funding for and implementation of sustainable development. It emphasises the Conventions role in contributing solutions to the global priorities of:
- sustainable development and poverty alleviation;
- water management, allocation and river basin management;
- climate change;
- improved efficiency and governance of multilateral institutions.
4. In particular, this proposal would facilitate a rapid response by the Convention to implement the outcomes of the World Summit on Sustainable Development. A resolution to effect this is the only substantial new work required.
5. The proposal would exclude a few items in the current agenda. The Ramsar Data Gateway paper could be given as a special intervention or side event.
|Ramsar CoP8 technical session||Supporting document||Old order|
|1 - Ramsar's response to the World Summit on Sustainable Development || |
|2 - Major challenges and emerging opportunities || |
|3 - Wetland inventory and the List of Wetlands of International || |
|4 - Managing sites and threats |
|5 - Cultural aspects of wetlands |
|Items proposed to be omitted: || |