Asia-Pacific STRP meeting in Changwon, Korea
On 7-11 October over 60 wetland experts from over 20 countries, including Asian National Focal Points for the Scientific and Technical Review Panel (STRP), Ramsar National Focal Points and STRP experts, are gathered in Changwon City, Republic of Korea, for the ‘Asia Regional Workshop on Scientific and Technical Support for Implementation of the Ramsar Convention.’ Lew Young, Ramsar Senior Regional Advisor for Asia and Oceania, and Marcela Bonells, Scientific and Technical Support Officer, are representing the Ramsar Secretariat.
Hosted by the Ministry of Environment of the Republic of Korea and organized by the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention and the Ramsar Regional Center – East Asia (RRC-EA), the workshop seeks to:
• improve awareness of STRP and Ramsar Convention processes;
• explain and clarify the role of STRP National Focal Points;
• highlight the importance and role of the Changwon Declaration;
• update Asian STRP National Focal Points on the work of the STRP over the coming triennium, especially its priority tasks; and
• identify best ways to encourage good networking between STRP National Focal Points, the STRP and wetland experts in the region and to contribute to the progress of the highest priority tasks of the STRP.
The workshop will provide an opportunity for STRP National Focal Points from the Region to contribute to the development of the work of the STRP on a number of areas, including wetland ecosystem benefits and services, wetlands and water resource management, and invasive species.
Report by Marcela Bonells, Scientific and Technical Support Officer, are representing the Ramsar Secretariat