New Book on Pong Lake birds called ''Wild Wings'' released
The Honourable Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, Sh. Prem Kumar Dhumal, shared the news of the release of a new book on Pong Lake birds called ''Wild Wings'' on 15 October 2011 by Devinder Singh Dhadwal. According to the author, Mr. Dhadwal, "It took almost two years to complete this book after almost 10 years of research. The book lists 415 species of birds that I recorded in Pong Lake since 2003 and contains 637 pictures that give rich detail of Pong Lake and its biodiversity."
The highlights of the book are as follows:
- It gives the introduction of the lake with pics at different angles.
- Zonation of Pong and its varied habitats with pictures and maps.
- Water Dynamism of the lake, species richness and migration pattern of the birds.
- Breeding birds in the lake: 97 species of birds breed in the lake during summer season.
- The distribution of birds is specific to Pong Lake, i.e. it gives the detail where one can view the birds at what time of year in Pong.
- List of Snakes (18 species) and mammals (21 species) with pictures recorded in the lake.
- Birds: The book lists 415 species recorded by the author since 2003:
- Pictures of birds in sitting, flying posture, juveniles, and more.
- Rare birds like the Solitary Snipe, Black Necked Grebe, Red necked Grebe, Greater Scaup, White Fronted Goose, Common Shelduck, Curlew Sandpiper, Terek Sandpiper, Nordmann's Greenshank, Grey-tailed Tatler, Common Ringed Plover, Pacific Golden Plover, Ruddy Turnstone, Red necked Phalarope, Broadbilled Sandpiper, Long-toed Stint, Grey Plover, Lesser Sand Plover, Greater Sand Plover, Oriental Plover, Indian Skimmer, Little Gull, Mew Gull and many more.
For more infomation, please read the PDF from the author here.