The quarterly Newsletter of the Scientific & Technical Review Panel (STRP) of the Ramsar Convention
This edition contains an interview with Elif Okumus, STRP National Focal Point for Turkey. Turkey joined the Ramsar Convention in 1994 and to date there are 13 wetlands designated as Ramsar Sites covering an area of 179,898 hectares. The country is home to many more beautiful wetland areas worth such designation.
The Topic of the Quarter is: "National Ramsar Committees (NRCs)". The Ramsar Secretariat has prepared an information paper that illustrate some of the diverse approaches Parties have utilised to create and operate NRC and we have a new section on the website for this information.
Also included in this edition of the STRP Newsletter:
- 10 New Ramsar Sites
- Coverage of the Beijing International Workshop on Wetland restoration
- Task Force on Avian Influenza shares a briefing note
- An interview with Marcela Bonells, an intern in the Office of General Counsel at the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and Biodiversity Fellow at Stetson University College of Law in Florida, USA
- COP11 Draft Resolutions for the Standing Committee 43 Meeting, 31 Oct - 4 Nov 2011
- Streamlining procedures for describing Ramsar Sites at designation, and a new WIKI site for RIS information
- Ramsar's Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/RamsarConventionOnWetlands
- Information on World Wetlands Day 2012
- ...and much more