Only six more days to World Wetlands Day
Sorry, there is no English version of this document.
World Wetlands Day - are you ready?
Only six more days until World Wetlands Day and even less if you plan to celebrate at the weekend, so now it is time for a final reminder and an update. Our slogan this year with its focus on river basin management, Upstream – Downstream: Wetlands connect us all, is already proving to be popular and we have many emails detailing peoples’ plans for WWD, as well as a number of emails informing us that our poster or leaflet has been customised and/or translated for national/local languages.
As you know, all our materials are available on our web site. It’s now too late for us to mail materials to you but you can download everything here caxref:6246 and find out why this theme matters to all of us, wherever we live and whoever we are.
You can view the customisation of our materials from last year here caxref:2582. If you have used the design files of our materials to produce your own version please let us know and send me an electronic copy, if available, or a hard copy if not (or both if you can!).
We hope our slogan has inspired you to organise an event and we would love to hear from you about your WWD activities and to record these on our web site. Here’s a link to some very brief information on reporting caxref:6244. This will help to make it as easy as possible for us to get your report on the web. Please send all reports to email@example.com.
And what are we doing here at the Secretariat for WWD? Some staff members will be taking part in WWD events in other countries and some will be active here in Switzerland:
- Tobias Salathé, our Senior Regional Advisor (SRA) for Europe will travel to Willstätt on the Germany/France border to take part in a WWD event to celebrate the recently designated transboundary Ramsar Site Oberrhein/Rhin supérieur.
- Tobias has also been interviewed by Radio Suisse Romande (a radio station broadcasting to the French-speaking region of Switzerland) about WWD; the interview will be aired on Saturday the 31st January.
- Lew Young, SRA for Asia, will be in the Republic of Korea where an all-day event has been organized that will debate key wetland issues, deliver a guest lecture for students by a distinguished speaker, and deliberate the developing National CEPA Wetland Action Plan;
- Anada Tiéga, our Secretary General, will head for Spain to the Doñana Ramsar Site where he will take to the skies in a hot air balloon to celebrate WWD with our partner WWF and to celebrate also WWF’s 40th anniversary working in Doñana.
- Here in Switzerland, Regional Affairs Officer Alexia Dufour will take part in a WWD press conference in collaboration with Geneva City government on the 27th January.
- Also here in Switzerland several staff members (Valerie Higgins, Sandra Hails and several of our Regional Assistants), will be running a stand on February 1st for the Ramsar Secretariat at the annual WWD festivities organized by the State of Geneva. This will take place beside Lake Geneva in the heart of the city and there will also be many stands run by local and neighbouring French NGOs.
Have a Happy World Wetlands Day – and let’s hear from you about your activities!
With best wishes, Sandra Hails, Ramsar Secretariat
Sandra Hails, CEPA Programme Officer
Ramsar Convention Secretariat
Rue Mauverney 28, CH-1196 Gland, Switzerland
Tel: +41 22 999 0176; Fax: +41 22 999 0169
Web Site: http://ramsar.org
CEPA mini-Web site: caxref:2562