Closing Conference of the MedWet CODDE project
Wetland Inventory and Assessment in the Mediterranean region:
Advanced Tools17-18 March 2008, Athens Greece
The MedWet Secretariat is pleased to extend to you an invitation to attend the closing conference of the MedWet-Réseau CODDE project, which will be held on the 17-18 March, 2008, in Athens, Greece.
Undertaken between 2005-2007, the MedWet/CODDE project addresses the urgent need of policy makers, wetland managers and researchers for having easy access to up-to-date and standardized data in order to assess and monitor the current status and trends of Mediterranean wetlands and their surroundings. The project was launched under the INTERREG IIIC programme. At a time when the conservation of wetland ecosystems is being emphasized, MedWet believes that the inventorying tool provided by the MedWet CODDE project can be a catalyst to support better site management. By updating the Pan Mediterranean Wetland Inventory with information on inventories of a number of countries the project helps to build a common knowledge base on wetlands in the Mediterranean. By adopting the tool it is hoped that national governments and managers of wetland sites will be able to address priority issues and ensure regional development coupled with conservation of wetlands in the Mediterranean region.
Objectives of the conference:
1. To disseminate the new MedWet inventory and assessment tools developed under the MedWet/CODDE project.
2. To strengthen communication and synergies with existing Mediterranean, European and global initiatives relevant to wetlands and with individual experts.
3. To continue the process for completing the Pan-Mediterranean Wetland Inventory and Database (PMWI).
4. To provide the floor for new synergies in response to wetland inventory, monitoring and assessment.
5. To debate the interest and opportunities to initiate a Mediterranean wetland inventory, monitoring and assessment network, under the umbrella of the MedWet Initiative.
The conference is open to scientists and technical staff from public authorities or institutes and organisations working on wetland conservation and management, and in particular in the fields of wetland inventory, monitoring and assessment.
You can download the draft agenda a registration form as well as information on the venue of the conference at this address. Please note that the registration form should be returned to the MedWet Secretariat by fax (+30-210-8089274) or email before 6 March, 2008.
Working languages of the Conference will be English and French. Simultaneous translation will be provided to and from both languages.
Kifissias & Gr Lambraki 1
145 61 Kifissia, GREECE
Tel (+30) 210 80 89 270
Fax (+30) 210 80 89 274