"Mountains and People" photo contest
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: MOUNTAINS AND PEOPLE GLOBAL DIGITAL PHOTO CONTEST
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) and the Mountain Forum (MF)/Asia Pacific Mountain Network (APMN) are jointly organising a Global Digital Photo Contest to mark the 25th Anniversary of ICIMOD, whose slogan is "For Mountains and People". On 5 December this year, ICIMOD celebrates its 25th birthday. A series of events have been planned throughout the year, and the Global Digital Photo Contest is one of the most important ones.
Not surprisingly, the theme chosen for the Digital Photo Contest is "Mountains and People". It encompasses the following four categories:
1. Mountains - Geo/physical elements (mountain range, massif, mountain landscape, high altitude rangeland, bodies of water, waterfalls, rivers, etc)
2. Mountains - Hazards/Disasters (landslides, floods, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, potentially dangerous glacial lakes, mud-slides, dangerous roads, trails & river crossings, etc)
3. People - Livelihoods (farming, shifting cultivation, grazing, hunting, fishing, transhumance, trade, porterage, tourism, etc)
4. People - Culture (festivals, shamanism, rites of passage, dance , etc)
The top two entries will receive the ICIMOD Hindu Kush-Himalayan Prize and the Mountain Forum Global Prize. In addition, four Special Mentions will be awarded, one for each category.
The "top 50" entries may be exhibited in select Hindu-Kush Himalayan countries.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
* The contestants may submit only entries that they hold copyrights to.
* The contestants must accept that participation in the contest constitutes agreement to allow their entries to be used by ICIMOD and/or MF for non-commercial promotional purposes (in publications, calendar, screensaver, websites, exhibitions, etc). Due credit will, of course, be given to the copyright-holder each time his/her entry is used.
* The contestants may not submit entries which they have contributed to ICIMOD/MF in the past, or which have already been used elsewhere in whatever form.
* The contestants may not submit entries that have been digitally manipulated (eg composite images).
A panel of judges will select the entries for two Grand Prizes and four Special Mentions based on a) composition, b) content, c) degree of 'mountain-ness' conveyed by content, d) originality, and e) overall effectiveness in conveying the theme/category of the contest.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
This contest is open to anybody.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES?
The contestant may submit up to 4 entries on any of the four categories, one entry AT A TIME, using EITHER the Submit Image Form , which can be accessed from http://www.icimod.org/photocontest/ (see the 'Submit Image' link on the top right corner) OR the e-mail version of the photo submission form given below.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
9 May 2008.
For details, please visit http://www.icimod.org/photocontest/ .
For queries or clarifications, write to: photocontest @icimod.org
******************* PHOTO SUBMISSION FORM *****************
Category (mark the applicable box with an 'X' like this [ X ]):
a. Geo/physical elements [ ], b. Hazards/Disasters [ ], c. Livelihoods [ ], d. Culture [ ]
I give ICIMOD/MF permission to use the photo described above in any manner or form whatsoever, either wholly or in part, in any medium or in conjunction with other photos or drawings, for non-commercial purposes. I understand that ICIMOD/MF will give me due credit each time my photo is used in any manner or form.
Yes [ ], I accept the above term (please mark the preceding box with an 'X', if you accept the term).
[Please submit your photo described above as an email attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The photo should be in high resolution JPEG format and not exceed 3 MB in size. To send another entry,
you must fill in the photo submission form again. You are kindly requested to submit one entry AT A TIME.
**************************** End ****************************
Looking forward to your participation in the photo contest,
Digital Photo Contest Organising Committee
c/o ICIMOD/Mountain Forum/APMN
Ms. Nira Gurung
International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development
GPO Box 3226, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tel: 977-1-5003222, Ext. 115 Fax: 977-1-5003277
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
ICIMOD publications on-line -- download or order direct at http://www.books.icimod.org