Position vacancy at Regional Centre in Ramsar, Iran
POSITION VACANCY: Executive Director
Regional Training and Research Centre for Central and Western Asia
Ramsar Town, Islamic Republic of Iran
Post title: Executive Director
Work percentage: 100%
Duty station: Ramsar town, Islamic Republic of Iran
Reporting to: Collaborative Management Board
Starting date: as soon as possible after 1 May 2007
The 8th Conference of Parties to Ramsar Convention held in Valencia, Spain, from 18 to 26 November 2002, expressed its approval of the establishment of a Ramsar Regional Center for Training and Research on Wetlands in Western and Central Asia in Ramsar city, in Islamic Republic of Iran, by adopting Resolution VIII.41. The RRC-CWA will enhance the implementation of the Ramsar Convention in the region through training, research, advocacy and public awareness programmes. The centre will work to support the implementation activities of Contracting Parties for the effective management and conservation of wetlands, through delivery of the following objectives:
o Build human capacity and engage in outreach
o Promote scientific and technical cooperation and exchange of knowledge, including traditional knowledge,
o Promote wise use of wetlands through research and sustainable management
o Encourage accession of non contacting parties in the region.
For more information, please visit: http://www.ramsarcenter-cwa.org/.
Duties of the Executive Director:
The Executive Director will be legal representative of the Center and will carry out the following functions:
- Preparation and submission for consideration of the Management Board of the biannual work plan of the Center with the corresponding budget;
- Representation of the Center in activities as required and in any required legal capacity;
- Planning, management, organization, monitoring and evaluation of all the activities of the Center.
- Adoption of the mechanism required to inform the general public and the national, regional and international scientific communities about the activities carried out;
- Administration of the budget of the Center;
- Cooperation with Ramsar Secretariat on technical activities;
- Preparation and submission of annual report to the Ramsar Secretariat no later than first December;
- Informing the Administrative Authorities of relevant Parties of the Ramsar Convention in the Region about programs and activities carried out by the Center every year or at the request of the Administrative Authorities;
- Other functions as determined by the Management Board.
Selection Criteria and Qualifications
1. The principal qualities required are enthusiasm and a commitment to wetland conservation and wise use in Central and Western Asia.
2. A University degree (preferably a post-graduate degree) in a subject relevant to wetland conservation and/or sustainable use, environment education.
3. A minimum of 5 years' professional experience in wetland-related research and/or conservation implementation, training and capacity building.
4. A minimum of 3 year's institutional management experience and has demonstrated tracked record success in leading the organization.
5. Familiar with Ramsar Convention, and maintain close network connections with the countries in Central and Western Asia.
6. Fully fluent written and spoken English. A good knowledge of Farsi is a particular advantage; knowledge of Russia and Arabic is an advantage.
7. Citizen of any Central and Western Asia countries is an advantage, too. We also encourage female professional to submit their applications.
This post is offered in the first instance until 31 December 2008. Subsequent renewal of the post will be subject to the decisions made by the Collaborative Management Board of the Regional Training and Research Centre for Central and Western Asia.
Applications should include:
a) An application letter in English of no more than two pages, briefly describing the suitability of the candidate for the post in relation to each of the selection criteria and qualifications listed above.
b) A maximum one-page statement on the applicant's interpretation of the main scientific and technical challenges facing Central and Western Asia.
c) A curriculum vitae.
d) The names/contact details of three referees, including one recent employer.
E-mail applications are preferred. They should be sent only to the following address before 15 April 2007, E-mail:email@example.com; and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The schedule for the selection process is as follows:
a) Applications are due by 15 April 2007. All applications will be acknowledged.
b) Short list for interviews: those applicants who are short listed for interview should be informed of this by 20 April, 2007.
c) Interviews will be carried out at the Ramsar Centre, Iran at the first week of May, 2007 - applicants should be prepared to be in Iran on those days if called.
d) Final decision will be made at the end of the interview.
e) Starting date will be as soon as possible after 1 May 2007.