IWMI discussion forum on Wetlands and Poverty Reduction
Join the Wetlands and Poverty Discussion Forum
The IWMI Wetlands group invites YOU ALL to join an interactive, online discussion on Wetlands and Poverty. IWMI has developed and will facilitate this forum to capture the contributions of people (all of YOU) working in different aspects of poverty and wetlands.
This Discussion Forum will focus on conservation and development with regards to wetlands (using Ramsar definition). We will be discussing the need for a more cohesive approach to addressing the conservation-development nexus and whether/ how to enhance the recognition of a people-ecosystem interconnection in trying to achieve both poverty reduction and wetlands conservation.
This discussion forms part of a larger project (part of Wetlands International's Wetlands and Poverty Reduction Project) aimed at identifying existing lessons and best practices in creating mutually supportive links between human well-being and wetlands management.
The Forum will run from April 2nd until April 18th, using an email-based and internet site approach known as DGroup (for more information please see http://www.dgroups.org/), which will allow you all to participate and share in interesting and useful discussions and knowledge sharing on the topic.
This forum will include opportunities for sharing documents, engaging in discussions, filling out strategic surveys, contributing stories and experiences, and other features. This forum will be moderated to ensure it is iterative and wide-reaching. Various discussions and activities will be posted over the 'work' days (Mon-Fri) during this time period for people to participate in. These include:
- Introductions and understanding each other's backgrounds and point of view
- Discussion on poverty reduction tools/approaches
- Discussion on conservation of wetlands
- Exploring conflict resolution
- Most Significant Change- story sharing exercise
- Guiding the future: Providing recommendations for future work
- Overview and review
You can participate in as much or little as you would like, in whichever components you are interested in, and whenever you can during the time period. You can take part in discussions extensively or with simple responses, post documents in the Resources section, or add important links
To sign-up for the Wetlands and Poverty Discussion forum- send an email to email@example.com with:
-Your email address
Some things to note:
1. Once you sign-up for the Forum, your name and email will be added to the DGroup and an invitation email will be sent to you with your username and password and link to the site
2. You can post messages directly onto the site, send emails to the group, or even reply to emails.
3. You can unsubscribe from the DGroup at ANY time
4. You can send private replies or contributions to the facilitator via email.