Water for Sustainable Development workshop in March 2007
3rd regional workshop on water management, March 2007, Zaragoza, Spain
Within the framework of a regional workshop on Water for Sustainable Development, organised jointly by the UNEP - Mediterranean Action Plan, Blue Plan Regional Activity Center and MedWet the Mediterranean Wetlands Initiative of the Ramsar Convention, scheduled to take place in Zaragoza, Spain, March 2007, we invite you to submit papers and disseminate this call.
Aims of the workshop
Between 50 and 100 participants are likely to attend: water directors, the expert authors of the national reports, members of the MCSD, experts representing regional institutions, donors and lenders, local authorities, agricultural organisations, businesses, NGOs who have put forward papers accepted by the scientific committee. It is the subject of this call for papers.
The workshop aims:
- to take stock of progress with implementing the Mediterranean Strategy for Sustainable Development, adopted by the Contracting Parties to the Barcelona Convention for the protection of the Mediterranean sea against pollution;
- to take more detailed stock of progress on Water Demand Management (WDM): indicators and comparative water use performances (transport, distribution and use efficiency)???, identifying actual examples of good practices, analysis of policy instruments implemented and obstacles encountered;
- to enable a regional sharing of experiences;
- to propose ways to speed up the mainstreaming of WDM across water, environmental and development policies (especially agricultural policies) and regional and bilateral cooperation, develop and implement efficiency plans, and improve the system for monitoring/evaluating progress on water and sustainable development in the Mediterranean.
The outcome of the workshop will serve as input towards the Water Tirbune - Innovation for sustainable Development to take place in the EXPO, 14 June 14 September , Zaragoza Spain. A policy overview report based on the workshop outcomes will be produced in 2007.
Medwet has been invited to organise the working group on water needs of ecosystems, one of the five thematic groups cotrnibuting towards the workshop.
Content and format of papers
You are invited to submit papers focusing on managing water resources to meet ecosystem needs, one of the five priority issues to be addressed by the workshop.
The papers must inform about practical examples of progress (good practices) on water demand management in the Mediterranean, examples of savings and/or efficient use of agricultural, urban or industrial water (efficiency plans, projects, policies, etc.), examples of good traditional practices, examples of allocation trade-offs, examples of implementation tools for better use of water, examples of integrated management of groundwater or catchment areas including water demand management objectives and/or resource and ecosystem preservation (quantities and quality), examples of bilateral, subregional or regional cooperation projects. Papers focusing on other regions may also be considered provided their relevance to the Mediterranean is highlighted.
The documented case studies may therefore be local, national or cooperative.
Papers must elaborate on:
- the sustainable development aspects,
- the history of the project, the reasons why certain measures were taken to improve the situation in sustainable development terms, the partners involved,
- the policy instruments deployed that delivered improvements in the situation,
- the problems encountered, any causes of failure, obstacles yet to be overcome,
- the outcomes achieved in terms of sustainable development (environmental and/or social and economic outcomes),
- the conclusions to be drawn from this example for the Mediterranean.
Selection of papers and deadline
Abstracts of proposed papers must reach Plan Bleu before 30 November 2006. They will be reviewed by the regional workshop scientific committee.
Paper presenters will be re-imbursed for their cost of participation to the workshop. Authors of papers selected for the overview report to be produced will be invited to participate to the workshop but their cost of participation will not be covered. Contact for sending the proposals for papers
The proposed papers should be transmitted to Mr. Mohammed BLINDA, programme Officer of water, Plan Bleu before July 15, 2006, by fax, email or express mail. PLAN BLEU Regional Activity Centre Mediterranean Action Plan
15, rue Beethoven Sophia-Antipolis
F-06560 Valbonne - France
Phone: +33 4 92 38 71 30 Fax: +33 4 92 38 71 31
Mail: email@example.com with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
To receive full details on this call for papers please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Kifissias & Gr Lambraki 1
145 61 Kifissia, GREECE
Tel (+30) 210 80 89 270
Fax (+30) 210 80 89 274