Ramsar Regional Centre in Panama seeks Technical Officer
The Ramsar Regional Center for Training and Research on Wetlands in the Western Hemisphere (CREHO), located in the City of Knowledge, Panama City, was created by the Agreement between the Panamanian Government and the Ramsar Convention Secretariat, on February 28th, 2003, during the 29th Convention Steering Committee Meeting. The general objective of CREHO is "Promote research on the management and wise use of wetlands throughout the Americas, through training and the development of impact assessment tools, methodologies and economic assessment, and the establishment of communication mechanisms".
Based at: CREHO. "City of Knowledge", Panama City, Panama
Term contract: 12 months. Renewable. Starting on May 1st, 2006. The first three months on a trial basis.
Conditions and salary: Exclusive dedication. Basic salary US$19,500 annual. Expenses from / to the original country will not be covered. International mission status according with Panamanian Law.
- Coordinate the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of the Program for Strengthening of Capacities and Research on Wetlands based on CREHO's objectives.
- Produce the technical information required to formulate proposals related to his/her position.
- Coordinate, organize and promote training events related to wetlands.
- Maintain constant communication with Ramsar Contracting Parties in the Western Hemisphere and with other partners in relation with the specific technical functions of the position.
- Support the development and maintenance of a database for the regional wetlands specialists directory.
- Contribute and support in CREHO's strategic and financial planning process within the framework of the position.
- Perform administrative tasks related to his/her responsibilities.
- Follow up and evaluate personnel under his/her charge.
- Prepare technical and financial reports of the programs under his/her responsibility to the Executive Director, donors, and others, in timely manner.
- Maintain inventory control of goods and project supplies under his/her responsibility.
- Other tasks requested by the Executive Director based on the job description.
Requirements for the Position:
- Academic profile: professional in the field of environmental studies with emphasis on wetlands.
- At least 7 years experience in wetlands ecosystems. Experience at regional level in the Western Hemisphere will add value.
- Proven knowledge of the Ramsar Convention, its manuals and operation.
- Studies or experience in capacity building with emphasis in wetlands and related issues to the implementation of the Ramsar Convention.
- Experience in promoting and raising awareness about wetlands and in the development of training materials (i.e. didactic, audiovisual and for environmental education).
- Proven experience on management and project planning. To have record of participation in a successful project supported by the Ramsar Convention will be an asset.
- Experience with community work and in the governmental sector.
- National and resident of a country part of the Ramsar Convention in the Western Hemisphere.
- Capacity for teamwork and organization skills, as well as respect for cultural diversity
- Availability to travel.
- Languages: High proficiency in Spanish and English. Knowledge of French or Portuguese desirable.
- Strong oral and writing skills.
- Creativity and initiative.
- Software knowledge: Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Develop technical proposals to implement the Strengthening Strategic Plan and the Regional Training Program in coordination with the Institutional Development Officer
- Project design, planning, coordination, execution, and monitoring based on CREHO's Annual Work Plan, Strategic Plan, Strengthening Needs Assessment, Strengthening Strategic Plan, Regional Training Program, among other documents.
- Identify and develop themes for new programs and training actions.
- Participate in curricula and thematic development, coordinate the preparation of training modules and identify keynote speakers and professor for training events according to CREHO's objectives, the Strengthening Strategic Plan.
- Produce didactic and audiovisual materials for trainings about wetlands and the training program.
- Identify and collect relevant training material produce by other organizations and share the materials with partners in the region through email or by posting the documents in the website.
- Update the wetlands specialist directory (including speakers, facilitators and trainers by thematic area).
- Provide technical assistance to Governments in the region that are part of the Ramsar Convention in topics relevant to the Center's mandate in coordination with the Executive Director and in consultation with the Ramsar Secretariat as required.
- Organize training events in wetlands issues when the Center's has direct responsibility to carry out the training and provide logistic support to Governments and/or other entities when they are in charge of providing the training on behalf of the Center.
- Travel (local or international) according to the needs and requirements for the fulfillment of functions.
- Provide support to the Institutional Development Officer with information to develop proposals and as input to the Center's newsletter- Infohumedal and website.
- Support in the development of projects to strengthen the wetlands network of international importance in the Western Hemisphere.
- Support in eventual administrative tasks, in coordination with Executive Director.
- Strengthening of the Contracting Parties to the Ramsar Convention in the Western Hemisphere in wise use and management of wetlands.
- Strengthening of other partners in management and conservation of wetlands.
- Implemented actions in promotion and for raising awareness about wetlands in the western hemisphere (distribution of: a) information about training opportunities on a national, regional or international level, b) didactic and audiovisual material related to wetlands and c) general information about wetlands at the Hemispheric level).
Should be sent with the following documents on Spanish or English before March 20th, 2006:
a) Presentation letter and expression of interest.
b) Application form (English or Spanish)
c) Curriculum vitae, including a recent photo (English or Spanish)
d) At least 3 work or academic reference letters with the position and complete contact information of the person providing the reference. The references shall be different from the ones mentioned in the application form.
Please send the documents to both of the following addresses: (It is preferable to send information by email)
Ramsar Regional Center for Training and Research on Wetlands in the Western Hemisphere (CREHO)
Attention: Rosa Montañez
Ramsar Convention Secretariat
Note: Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for interview no later than on March 27, 2006. The interviews through Teleconference will be held in the week of March 27 to 31st. The final decision will be made no later than March 31st when the selected candidate will be informed to start the contracting process and the rest of the pre-selected candidates will be informed about the decision made.