The 9th Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties
|"Wetlands and water: supporting life, sustaining livelihoods" |
9th Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties
to the Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar, Iran, 1971)
Kampala, Uganda, 8-15 November 2005
|Agenda item XV|| |
Ramsar COP9 DR 18
Review of the decisions of the Conference of the Contracting Parties
1. RECALLING that a considerable body of material on technical, scientific, and policy guidance has been adopted by the previous meetings of the Conference of the Contracting Parties (COP);
2. ALSO RECALLING that in Resolution VII.45 the Parties directed the Standing Committee to undertake a general review of the effectiveness of the process of drafting, considering, adopting and implementing Resolutions and Recommendations adopted by the sixth, seventh, and eighth meetings of the COP; and
3. FURTHER RECALLING that it is clear there are some overlaps and redundancies in the accumulated guidance, advice and policy of the Convention as adopted in Resolutions and Recommendations of the COP; and
4. AWARE that a priority task identified for the Scientific and Technical Review Panel (STRP) in 2006-2008 in [COP9 DR2] is to "review the range of existing Ramsar guidance, with a view inter alia to: identifying gaps, repackaging older guidance into updated documents, and proposing retiring or withdrawing outdated documents";
THE CONFERENCE OF THE CONTRACTING PARTIES
5. INSTRUCTS the Secretariat to undertake, with the Standing Committee and the Scientific and Technical Review Panel, a review of the decisions taken since the first Conference of the Parties with a view to identifying specific areas of redundancy, and to provide advice to COP10 on a way forward; and
6. AGREES that, in the meantime, where there is a conflict of advice or policy in Resolutions or Recommendations adopted by different meetings of the Conference of the Parties, the Resolution or Recommendation adopted by the most recent COP takes precedence in the application of all aspects therein, and supersedes or nullifies areas of differing interpretation, advice or policy contained in the earlier Resolution(s) or Recommendations(s).
For reasons of economy, this document is printed in a limited number, and will not be distributed at the meeting. Delegates are requested to bring their copies to the meeting and not to request additional copies.