Terms of Reference for the Financial Administration of the Convention on Wetlands of International Importance especiallv as Waterfowl Habitat
1. A separate account shall be established by the Director General of IUCN on behalf of the Bureau of the Convention to administer the finances of the Convention.
2. The financial period shall be for three calendar years beginning 1 January 1988, and ending 31 December 1990. The appropriations of the account for the financial period shall be financed from:
a) the contributions made by the Contracting Parties by reference to the table in Attachment 2, including contributions from any new Contracting Parties which are to be added to this table;
b) subject to the approval of the Standing Committee, contributions from States not Party to the Convention, other governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations and other sources; and
c) any uncommitted and unexpended appropriations from the voluntary contributions up to 1987.
3. The budget estimates, prepared in currency of the country in which the seat of the Bureau is located, covering the income and expenditure for each of the three calendar years constituting the financial period to which they relate, shall be submitted to each ordinary Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties to the Convention.
4. The estimates of each of the calendar years covered by the financial period shall be divided into sections; shall be specified according to budget lines; shall include references to the programmes of work to which they relate; and shall be accompanied by such information as may be required by, or on behalf of, the contributors, and such further information as the Director General of IUCN may deem useful and advisable.
5. The proposed budget shall be dispatched by the Bureau to all Contracting Parties at least ninety days before the date fixed for the opening of the ordinary Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties.
6. The budget shall be adopted by a 2/3 majority of the Contracting Parties present and voting at the ordinary Meeting, pursuant to the terms of Article 6, paragraph 5 of the Convention, as amended by the Extraordinary Conference of the Contracting Parties held at Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada from 28 May to 3 June 1987.
7. In the event that the Director General of IUCN anticipates that there might be a shortfall in resources, over any calendar year as a whole, he shall consult with the Head of the Bureau, who shall seek the approval of the Standing Committee as to its priorities for expenditure.
8. Upon the request of the Head of the Bureau, after seeking the approval of the Standing Committee, the Director General of IUCN shall be empowered to make transfers from one budget line to another. At the end of the first and the second calendar years of a financial period, the Director General of IUCN may proceed to transfer any uncommitted/unexpended balance of appropriations to the next calendar year, provided that the total budget approved by the Conference of the Contracting Parties shall not be exceeded unless this is specifically sanctioned in writing by the Standing Committee.
9. All contributions shall be paid in convertible currencies. Contributions from States which become Contracting Parties after the beginning of the financial period should be made on a pro-rata basis for the balance of the financial period.
10. As soon as practicable at the end of each calendar year of a financial period, the Director General of IUCN shall submit to the Contracting Parties the audited accounts for the year. He shall also submit, as soon as practicable, the audited accounts for the financial period.
11. These Terms of Reference shall be effective for the financial period of 1 January 1988 to 31 December 1990.