Resolution 5.2: Financial and budgetary matters
5th Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties
9-16 June 1993
RECALLING the amendments to Article 6 of the Convention which provide that:
"5. The Conference of the Contracting Parties shall establish and keep under review the financial regulations of this Convention. At each of its ordinary meetings, it shall adopt the budget for the next financial period by a two-thirds majority of the Contracting Parties present and voting;"
"6. Each Contracting Party shall contribute to the budget according to a scale of contributions adopted by unanimity of the Contracting Parties;"
ACKNOWLEDGING with appreciation the financial support provided under the Convention by contributions of the Contracting Parties;
FURTHER NOTING with gratitude the financial support provided for the work of the Bureau by several non-governmental bodies;
RECOGNIZING the urgency there is to provide financial support to the Convention Bureau each year with minimum delay;
THE CONFERENCE OF THE CONTRACTING PARTIES
1. APPROVES the budget for 1994-1996 attached as Annex 1;
2. ADOPTS for the 1994-1996 triennium the scale of contributions of the Contracting Parties to the Convention as listed in Annex 2;
3. INSTRUCTS the Standing Committee to report to the next meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties on alternatives to the use of the United Nations scale of contributions to calculate the contribution of each Party to the Convention budget, taking into consideration the need for an equitable burden sharing among the Parties and the situation in developing countries.
4. DIRECTS the Secretary General to administer the Convention funds in accordance with the approved terms of reference in Annex 3 to this resolution;
5. EMPHASIZES to the Contracting Parties the importance of making their contributions to the Bureau's separate account promptly by the beginning of the respective calendar year or financial period to which the contributions apply or, if this is not possible, as soon thereafter as possible;
6. REMINDS all Contracting Parties of Recommendations 3.4, 4.13, and 5.5 to include the wise use concept and conservation of wetlands in development cooperation programmes;
7. URGES all Contracting Parties that are in a position to do so to make additional voluntary payments to the Convention budget to cover the Monitoring Procedure, Conference of the Parties/delegate travel, and the Wetland Conservation Fund;
8. URGES all Contracting Parties to deposit as soon as possible an instrument of acceptance of the amendment of 28 May 1987;
9. INVITES States not Party to the Convention, other governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental organizations, and other sources to consider contributing to the Bureau's separate account for the operating budget and to the Wetland Conservation Fund;
10. INSTRUCTS the Secretary General, in consultation with the Standing Committee, to seek external sources of support for programme priorities; and
11. DIRECTS the Standing Committee, in consultation with the Secretary General, to develop business plans for the Bureau for each year of the 1994-1996 triennium and to prepare strategic plans for the following two triennia for presentation at the Sixth Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties.
Annexes 1 and 2, tables of contributions for 1994-1996, see PDF.