40th Meeting of the Ramsar Standing Committee
|CONVENTION ON WETLANDS (Ramsar, Iran, 1971)|
40th Meeting of the Standing Committee
Gland, Switzerland, 11-15 May 2009
DOC. SC40-7, rev. 1
Current status of the Reserve Fund
|Action requested: The Standing Committee is invited to note the contents of this report and consider the Secretary General's suggestions about the use of the Reserve Fund excess.|
1. The Reserve Fund (established by Resolution VI.17, 1996) comprises excess/deficit funds from each year’s core budget to be used to meet unforeseen and unavoidable expenditures. The resources kept in the Reserve Fund are limited to a maximum of 1/12th of the core budget of the current fiscal year. The Fund is to be administered by the Secretary General under the guidance of the Subgroup on Finance as established by the Standing Committee.
2. In Resolution X.2 (2008), para 21, the Contracting Parties requested the Secretary General to report to the Standing Committee on the status of the Reserve Fund and consult with the Standing Committee regarding the use of any excess resources of the Fund.
3. At 31 December 2007 the Fund stood at CHF 485,000, CHF 131,000 above the maximum. At 31 December 2008 the Reserve Fund per the final draft of the audited financial statements for 2008 was 423,000 but should be no greater than 1/12th of CHF 4,365,000, i.e. CHF 364,000. The Secretary General has requested that CHF 59,000 of the Reserve be released and recommends allocation as follows:
- First, to cover the deficit of CHF 34,000 on the COP10 project.
- Secondly, to establish a project to provide a CHF 15,000 to finance ad hoc legal work that the Secretariat urgently needs to support its core and project activities.
- Thirdly, to provide CHF 10,000 to top up the fund for Ramsar Advisory Missions.
STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT AT 31.12.2008
(in Swiss Francs)
Carry forward from 2000
2001 Adjustments to the Fund
Deficit from 2001
2002 Adjustments to the Fund
Deficit from 2002
2003 Adjustments to the Fund
Deficit from 2003
2004 Adjustments to the Fund
Deficit from 2004
2005 Adjustments to the Fund
Surplus from 2005
2006 Adjustments to the Fund
Surplus from 2006
2007 Adjustments to the Fund
Surplus from 2007
2008 Adjustments to the Fund
Deficit from 2008
Transfer to projects
TOTAL to 31 Dec 2008
The Reserve Fund is comprises excess/deficit funds from each year’s budget. It also receives annual contributions prior to 1994.
Resolution VI.17 of COP6 established that “the resources kept in the Fund should not be higher at any time than one-twelfth of the core budget of the current fiscal year”. One-twelfth of the 2008 budget approved by COP9 is CHF 363,758
For an excess:
At 31.12.08 there was an excess in the Reserve Fund. The Secretary General
has decided to release CHF 100,000. He would like to propose that this amount is used as follows: