IWRB -- IUCN Memo of Agreement, 1987
[annex to Resolution 3.1]
MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT
the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) and
the International Waterfowl and Wetlands Research Bureau (IWRB)
with regard to the performance of Bureau duties under the Ramsar Convention.
WHEREAS IUCN is designated by Article B of the donvention as the organization entrusted with the task of performing Bureau duties,
RECALLING IWRB's long involvement in the promotion of the Convention and the continuous assistance it has provided to IUCN in the performance of its Bureau duties,
FURTHER RECALLING the close links between IUCN and IWRB and, in particular, the fact that IWRB is a member of IUCN and that IUCN is represented on the Executive Board of IWRB,
NOTING that the joint proposal on secretariat services made by IUCN and IWRB to the Task Force established by the Second Meeting of the Conference of the Parties has been recognized by that Task Force as the only practical option to pursue and that the Task Force has recommended its approval by the Conference of the Parties, and
NOTING that the Conference of the Parties has endorsed this recommendation and has approved the terms of this Agreement,
IUCN and IWRB have agreed as follows:
1) IWRB shall cooperate with IUCN to guarantee the provision of Bureau services.
2) To this end IWRB shall establish a distinct section. Administratively, this distinct section shall be responsible to the Executive Director of IWRB. For all other purposes, it shall be responsible to the Head of the Convention Bureau.
3) Subject to the availability of funds, as provided in the Convention budget by the Conference of the Parties, the Convention Bureau shall support one full-time professional officer appointed after consultations with the Head of the Bureau, secretarial assistance and related overhead costs at the distinct section set up by IWRB in the country where IWRB is located. The amounts required for that purpose shall be determined each year by mutual agreement.
4) Subject to the availability of funds, as provided in the Convention budget, the level of support by the Convention Bureau of any additional expenditures to be incurred by the distinct section set up by IWRB including research projects, studies and publications shall be determined each year by mutual agreement.
5) IWRB shall maintain a separate account for all income received and expenditures incurred pursuant to this Agreement. It shall submit a financial report on this income and expenditures to the Head of the Convention Bureau at IUCN at the end of each year. Annual audits shall be carried out in accordance with procedures mandated by the Conference of the Parties.
6) This Memorandum of Agreement shall apply for an initial period of three years and shall continue to apply thereafter for successive periods of three years unless either organization gives notice to the other of its intention to terminate it at least one hundred and eighty days before the expiry of any such period of three years. When such notice of the intention to terminate has been given, this Memorandum of Agreement shall cease to apply at the expiry of such a period of three years.
7) This Memorandum of Agreement shall enter into force upon signature by IUCN and IWRB. It may be amended at any time by mutual agreement, subject to the approval of the Conference of the Contracting Parties.
For and on behalf of the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources
Kenton Miller, Director General, IUCN
2 June 1987
For and on behalf of the International Waterfowl and Wetlands Research Bureau
[Can't read the name,] President, IWRB
2 June 1987