Notification 2012/3: Credentials for the 11th Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties
The Secretariat of the Convention on Wetlands (Ramsar, Iran, 1971) presents its compliments to the Permanent Mission of ----- and has the honour to refer to the following:
As the Eleventh Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties (Ramsar COP11) approaches and as representatives pre-register for the conference, the Secretariat would like to remind Contracting Parties of the provisions of the Rules of Procedure for the COP regarding credentials adopted by the 10th Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties in October 2008.
Extract from the Rules of Procedure for Meetings of the Conference of the Contracting Parties:
1. The original of the statement of credentials of the head of delegation and other representatives, alternate representatives, and advisers shall be submitted to the Secretary General of the Convention or to his/her designated representative if possible not later than twenty-four hours after the opening of the meeting. Any later change in the composition of the delegation shall also be submitted to Secretary General or the representative of the Secretary General.
2. After the opening of the COP, any further changes, in particular of the Head of Delegation, shall be submitted to the Secretary General or to the Regional Representative on the Credentials Committee. Any changes to the head of the delegation during the COP may be made by the current head of delegation, alternate head of delegation, or the embassy of the party in question, provided that the newly designated head of delegation is properly identified as a delegate in the original credentials duly authorized by the appropriate official. If a person not identified in the initial letter of credentials is proposed as a new head of delegation, that change would need to be done through issuance of new credentials in accordance with rule 18.3.
3. The credentials shall be issued either by the Head of State or Government or by the Minister for Foreign Affairs or his/her equivalent. If other authorities in a Contracting Party are entitled to issue credentials for international meetings, this should be notified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with an original letter to the Secretary General either in advance of the meeting or not later than 48 hours after the opening of the meeting.
4. The credentials must bear the name and position of the person who signs the credentials as well as the full signature of the appropriate authority or else be sealed and initialed by that authority. The seal and/or letterheading should clearly indicate that the credentials have been issued by the appropriate authority.
5. A representative may not exercise the right to vote unless his/her name is clearly and unambiguously listed in the credentials.
6. If credentials are submitted in a language other than one of the official languages of the Convention (English, French and Spanish), they shall be accompanied by a translation into one of those three languages, and be produced and sealed by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs or its diplomatic representation, or the office of the Head of Delegation or the office of one of the delegates whose name is listed in the Credentials.
The Secretariat respectfully reminds all Parties of the importance of bringing original credentials to the Conference and presenting them upon registration.
The Secretariat would be obliged if a copy of the credentials, when available, could also be sent by e-mail to email@example.com or fax (to +41 22 999 0169) in advance of the Conference.
The Secretariat of the Convention on Wetlands respectfully requests that the content of the present Note be communicated to the competent national authorities and avails itself of this opportunity to renew to the Permanent Mission of ----- the assurance of its highest consideration.
Gland, Switzerland, 3 May 2012