Resolution 3.2: Financial and budgetary matters
The 3rd Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties
27 May - 5 June 1987
RECALLING the amendments to Article 6 of the Convention which provide that:
"5. The Conference of the Contracting Parties shall establish and keep under review the financial regulations of this Convention. At each of its ordinary meetings, it shall adopt the budget for the next financial period by a two-thirds majority of the Contracting Parties present and voting.
"6. Each Contracting Party shall contribute to the budget according to a scale of contributions adopted by unanimity of the Contracting Parties present and voting at an ordinary Conference of Contracting Parties."
ACKNOWLEDGING with appreciation the financial support provided under the Convention by voluntary contributions from several of the Contracting Parties;
FURTHER NOTING with gratitude the considerable financial support for the work of the Bureau provided by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources and the International Waterfowl and Wetlands Research Bureau since the inception of the Convention;
RECOGNIZING the urgency there is to provide financial support to the Convention Bureau with minimum delay.
THE CONFERENCE OF THE CONTRACTING PARTIES
1) APPROVES the budget for 1988-90 annexed as Attachment 1;
2) AGREES to the scale of contributions of the Contracting Parties to the Convention as listed in Attachment 2;
3) REQUESTS that the Director General of IUCN administer the Convention funds in accordance with the approved terms of reference in Attachment 3 to this resolution;
4) EMPHASIZES to the Contracting Parties the importance of making their contributions to the Bureau’s separate account promptly by the beginning of the respective calendar year or financial period to which the contributions apply or, if this is not possible, as soon thereafter as possible;
5) PARTICULARLY URGES all Contracting Parties to make their first contribution to the Convention budget as early as possible;
6) URGES all Contracting Parties to make voluntary payments to cover deficiencies in the budget caused by changes in the value of the United States dollar;
7) URGES all Contracting Parties to deposit as soon as possible an instrument of acceptance of the amendment of 28 May 1987;
8) INVITES states not Party to the Convention, other governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations, and other sources to consider contributing to the Bureau's separate account.