Recommendation 3.5: Tasks of the Bureau in respect to development agencies
The 3rd Meeting of the Conference of the Contracting Parties
27 May - 5 June 1987
Note: For the purposes of this Recommendation the term "Development Agencies" will be taken to mean all banks, government institutions and international governmental agencies (such as the Development Fund of the European Economic Community) with a significant role in providing funds to countries for their developrnent.
RECOGNIZING that, as noted in the Preamble to the Convention, "wetlands constitute a resource of great economic, cultural, scientific, and recreational value, the loss of which would be irreparable";
AWARE that Development Agencies are in a position to promote the wise use and conservation of wetlands for the benefit of local communities in the developing countries;
CONSIDERING that the Convention Bureau is well placed to encourage funding agencies to give greater attention to projects for the conservation and sustainable development of wetlands in developing countries, and to act as a link between potential donors and recipients;
TAKING NOTE of the discussions in the Workshop held at the present Meeting on the Convention as a vehicle for linking wetland conservation and development, which suggested that the Convention Bureau should perform such a function;
THE CONFERENCE OF THE CONTRACTING PARTIES
RECOMMENDS that the Convention Bureau should carry out the following activities:
- assisting developing countries with the identification and design of projects for the conservation and wise use of wetlands; encouraging Development Agencies to fund such projects; and acting as a link between potential donors and recipients;
- promoting the use of development assistance for demonstration projects that illustrate the principles of wise use of wetlands;
- promoting wise use and conservation of wetlands among Development Agencies and appropriate authorities in developing countries;
- requesting Development Agencies to provide the Convention Bureau with information on measures they have taken to integrate environmental aspects at all stages of projects affecting wetlands, including their planning and implementation, and monitoring the effectiveness of these measures; and
- reporting annually on its activities in this respect to the Contracting Parties.