World Wetlands Day 2009 -- Australia -- Tasmania
Dear Ramsar Secretariat,
Please find Environment Tasmania's promotional flyer for a seminar we organised to celebrate World Wetland Day.
The flyer provides a brief outline of the format of the seminar.
The key outcomes of the seminar, with particular reference to the current 'state' of Tasmania's wetlands, includes:
- there needs to be a reconciliation of existing data and published papers to inform and integrate into future decision making as apposed to relying solely on modelling;
- the Federal Government are offering grants through their 'Caring for our Country' program for on-ground works;
- there is limited baseline data on Estuarine Wetlands in Tasmania, however, Natural Resource Management organisations have started to collect data;
- many shorebird species are in serious decline and under numerous and expanding threats;
- State Government inaction is a serious impediment to improving the 'state' of Tasmania's Wetlands; and
- there needs to be systematic and strategic planning for Wetland conservation in Tasmania.
Tasmania's Conservation Council
Address: PO BOX 1073
Hobart, Tas 7001
Ph: (03) 6224 6319 Mob: 0409 087 278