World Wetlands Day 2004 -- Ukraine
The Wetlands International Black Sea Program and the Ministry of Environmental Protection of Ukraine have collaborated on the following outputs and events:
1. A press release to acknowledge that the State Programme of the Formation of a National Ecological Network for the Ukraine for 2000-2015 set the basis for conservation of wetlands of international importance, and the development of relevant management plans for both wetlands of international and local importance. In line with the commitments to the Ramsar Convention, Ramsar Information Sheets for 11 additional wetlands of international importance were prepared and sent to the Ramsar Secretariat for approval.
2. A press conference by Minister Mr. Sergiy Polyakov on the occasion of World Wetlands Day 2004 will take place at the Ministry on 2 February at 12.00 hrs, with participation of Deputy Minister Dr. Anatoliy Grytsenko, Head of Department Dr. Yaroslav Movchan, First Deputy Head of State Agency for Protected Areas Mr. Mykola Stetsenko, and Coordinator of Wetlands International Black Sea Programme Dr. Vasyl Kostuyshin.
3. The Conference "Role of wetlands of international importance in formation of national ecological network of Ukraine and conservation of biodiversity" will take place at the Ministry after the press conference. On the agenda are the issues of increasing the number of wetlands of international importance, measures aimed at their conservation, a National Strategy and Action Plan, and other issues of wetlands protection and restoration. Participants will come from governmental institutions, scientific organisations, the public, and non-governmental organisations.
4. A calendar was prepared on the occasion of Wetlands Day, with as its additional national slogan: Wetlands are an invaluable treasure of the Ukraine - keep them for us and our children!
5. A press release has been circulated to 27 local Departments of the Environment and Natural Resources all over the Ukraine with the suggestion to take appropriate actions to celebrate World Wetlands Day at a local level in the Ukraine.
Furthermore, the Wetlands International Black Sea Program has chosen Wetlands Day to launch the Website of the Ukrainian Rivers Network (URN) www.uarivers.net. The site consists of over 200 web-pages with information about the URN: Mission, Objectives, Structure, History, Main Documents, Members (90 NGOs), Ukrainian Rivers, URN Workshops, Training Course "Public Participation in Conservation of Small Rivers", Small Grants Program, Publications, Methodical Recommendations. At present the site is available in Ukrainian only; an English version will be made available in the next few months.