News from the Ramsar/Danone Evian Initiative
Danone-Evian partnership: Les Ecoles de protection de l'eau
In 2007, a new agreement between Danone-Evian and Ramsar was signed to support a new program called « Les Ecoles de protection de l’eau » or 'water protection institutes'. This new fund complements the Danone Evian fund for water.
The program aims to:
1. Encourage wise use of water.
2. Involve and work with the concerned stakeholders, from local communities to government officials, in order to protect wetlands.
3. Improve the well-being of local communities.
4. Help local communities to gain a sustainable and fairer access to natural resources.
The projects support four domains of activities:
1. Communication to raise awareness on issues and sustainable use of wetlands
2. Building capacities (in management, alternative activities)
3. Developing and encouraging alternative activities to improve livelihoods of people and to reduce pressure on resources.
4. Creating and implementing a management plan.
Three projects got underway in July 2008 in Ramsar sites. They will last between two and three years and are managed with the support of a local NGO.
We invite you to read the first news about the projects in order to know them better.
Bird Conservation Nepal
-- Nathalie Rizzotti